Expectations



Before this study abroad program started, I was expecting to encounter an environment very similar to Colombia in terms of food, language and society' behavior. However, even if it is the same language I have notice that there is an abundance of differences that have taught me many lessons during two weeks. Not only I have learned about Mexican history including their geography, indigenous, main economic activities of the area, the impact of the Mexican Revolution, the Catholic and Spanish roots, among others. Moreover, we have different greetings, commonly used phrases, and ways to relate to people. Thus, I realized that here I am between my "two worlds" America and Colombia,  I was not expecting to feel in this middle area where I speak both language at the same time, while being surrounded with people from NIU, feeling American, but also experiencing factors closer to the place I call home. The way that I have felt this duality in an environment that was completely unknown has showed me things about myself that I never saw before. 

Regarding our role at Human Connections, I imagined that we were just going to participate on the side on the creation of their new "product", although we are actually the ones building this tour piece by piece! This has been an awesome learning environment since no matter our major or year in college Human Connections created a system where all of us are contributing to get the work done. In addition, I did not expect them to be as nice and always willing to answer questions regarding to our work or to the culture. 

Additionally, professionally, I was hoping to develop my teamwork and communication skills and I can already say that I have accomplished this goal. Human Connections put us in three different groups that even if we have different jobs, we all need to evolve together and coordinate. The way this structure works has challenged me in many ways since I have had to read and communicate content in both languages, work with a small groups on our daily tasks, but also making sure that the other two groups are aware of my group's progress. Also, this has helped me understand how to delegate tasks and take advantage of everyone's skills to be as efficient as we can, something that I was hoping to learn. 

Furthermore, we have had the opportunity to travel to amazing towns and do incredible activities besides work, that I was not expecting to be as good and fulfilling as they have been. At first, I thought that these activities were just going to be a tour more where you just learn about history that you are not going to remember the next day, nevertheless, all of them have been meaningful on a educational and personal level. 

Finally, before coming to Bucerias I was planning to get to know better some of the other NIU students that are her with me, but I was not expecting to get as close as we are after just two weeks! This has been amazing since it has definitely made the trip even more interesting and I have learned things about United States too. 

Every day here has been completely different to what my routine is back at college or even at home, which as made me step out of my comfort zone and understand things about the world and myself that I never thought possible. My expectations for the rest of this experience have certainly change in a positive way. Now I they go beyond and above my imagination!

Comentarios

Entradas más populares de este blog

Bienvenida

Human Connections and its new partner

June 10th 2018